Yum error Metadata file does not match checksum

Posted in Linux/Unix/BSD -

When trying to install something on a CentOS 5 machine using Yum today, I got the error message "Metadata file does not match checksum" when Yum was trying to update the repository metadata. My first instinct was to run the error message through Google but the first couple of answers looked a little complex. I then remembered I'd had issues with Yum in an earlier post when I got the database disk image is malformed error message, so decided to try out the same solution before following the advice from the other sites.

The output from Yum and the error messages was as follows:

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up repositories
rpmforge                  100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 1.4 MB    00:10
http://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/redhat/el5/en/i386/dag/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 1.4 MB    00:11
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/dag/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum

I attempted to fix the yum repository metadata by issuing the following command:

# yum clean all

And this gave the output:

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Cleaning up Everything

I then ran Yum again, and got the following, so everything was now working OK:

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up repositories
rpmforge                  100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 1.4 MB    00:05
rpmforge  : ################################################## 5630/5630
Added 5630 new packages, deleted 0 old in 34.05 seconds
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 798 kB    02:34
base      : ################################################## 2334/2334
Added 2334 new packages, deleted 0 old in 14.04 seconds
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 352 kB    00:01
updates   : ################################################## 764/764
Added 764 new packages, deleted 0 old in 6.07 seconds
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================|  157 B    00:00
Added 0 new packages, deleted 0 old in 0.03 seconds
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================|  77 kB    00:00
extras    : ################################################## 302/302
Added 302 new packages, deleted 0 old in 1.44 seconds

If running yum clean all doesn't work for you, then I'd suggest trying the Google search results I mentioned at the start of this post for other solutions.



Related posts:


Comments